We have a contact in the military now, so it is possible to send items to AFCECO without paying for overseas shipping and we won’t have to shell out for the customs people in order to receive them. I know many of you know folks at your local schools, students and teachers who want to help, too, so perhaps you can forward this to them as well.
Right now, with the opening of the New School, we need periodicals and books and films. Anything appropriate you can ship to the address below, will be a huge boost to our resource center. Please use your utmost discretion, otherwise you risk paying to send items we cannot use.
Types of publications we can use:
- National Geographic Magazines are perfect.
- Other periodicals like sports magazines, history magazines, science and nature all good, as long as they are not too technical.
- Books: the resource center is being mostly utilized by 7th to 12th grade students. So try to feed their maturity level. Reading abilities run from beginner to intermediate to some very good. My best readers are reading Orwell’s Animal Farm.
- Reference materials, world book encyclopedia, picture-filled reference books.
- Secret Garden type stuff, Stewart Little type stuff, adventure stuff for young readers, perhaps Nancy Drew mysteries, etc.
- For better readers short stories, parables, short novels with basic vocabulary. Old Man and the Sea, okay.
- DVD instructional stuff.
- Movies and documentaries that you think are appropriate, educational, worldly.
- Cool maps, instructional things to put on classroom walls greatly appreciated.
What not to send:
- No Dickens, no Sydney Sheldon, no giant historical novels.
- No tiny, tiny print.
- No gossip or teen types magazines such as People or Us or Teen.
- No overly America-centric stuff, if culturally meaningless and uninteresting.
- No VCR tapes, as that technology has gone by the wayside here as everywhere
- No stationary, notebooks, pens, pencils, rulers and such right now.
Thank you thank you so much, this is really a great need, as we simply can’t get such material here. The New School (the “pink house”) is so beautiful, it really has come together and classes are in full swing. Here is the contact and address:
Flatley, Michael A MCPO MIL USA USFOR-A J3USFOR-A/NKC
APO AE 09356